Wednesday 12 March 2014

been baking: Brown Soda Bread



This is my first foray into the world of bread making.  I thought soda bread would be a good start; it's quick (no proving) and uses minimal ingredients.  Plus, I love it.  My Nanny Patty made the best soda bread and my version fell nowhere near hers; I'm not entirely sure why but at guess I'd say I should have used more salt.  I've also seen some recipes online that use porridge oats so perhaps I'll try that next time to give it a chewier, crumblier texture.  But for this one I used my mum's old Irish school book recipe.

The Bread
250g plain flour
250g wholemeal flour
300ml buttermilk
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt

Sieve the plain flour, wholemeal flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and mix together. Create a well in the centre of the mix and add the buttermilk, mix with a wooden spoon until you have a soft dough.

Lightly flour a surface and kneed the dough until the bottom looks smooth, then roll the dough into a ball shape and flatten slightly.  Score a cross through the top and bake for 40 minutes or so until the bread is completely brown and sounds hollow when your tap the bottom.

I think it's best eaten warm with nothing but proper melted butter.  Nom.




No comments:

Post a Comment